Are you ready?
The starting gun for the Austin Marathon and Half Marathon goes off in less than a month. We caught up with race director John Conley to learn the latest about the 2016 edition.
Here are five things you need to know. (Want more? Check the complete list in Monday’s print and digital versions of the Fit City column in the Austin American-Statesman.)
1. The course. Runners will follow the same route as last year, from a start on Congress Avenue to the hills of Exposition Boulevard to the finish in front of the Capitol.
2. The tunes. Expect garage bands, grunge bands and accordion players — more than 35 musicians in all — performing along the course.
3. The crowd. More than 15,000 runners between the full and half marathons will line up at the start line.
4. Celebrate! This year marks the 25th anniversary of the Austin Marathon, and race organizers want to make it special. Marathon runners will get a special commemorative backpack.
5. Track a friend. A special app allows fans to track runners as they make their way along the course. Go here to learn more: track.rtrt.me/e/AUSTIN-2015#/tracker.
Haven’t registered? You still can. Go here to sign up.