That’s five days down and two to go. I’ve learned a lot by riding my bike across Iowa with more than 15,000 people. Among them?
1. Cornfields swallow humans whole.
2. Never pass up an opportunity to use a slip ’n slide in front of a hay field.
3. Watermelon-themed cycling kits are the bomb.
4. If you don’t have a watermelon-themed kit, try a tutu.
5. Everyone needs a bicycle-themed temporary tattoo.
6. The fictional character Walter Eugene “Radar” O’Reilly from the television show “MASH” grew up in Ottumwa, Iowa, where I’m staying at the local YMCA for the night.
7. Banjo music makes you pedal faster.
8. Half the population of Texas, including Lance Armstrong, is pedaling across Iowa this week.
9. Dill pickle slices do not belong on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
10. You really don’t need a map at RAGBRAI. Just follow the bikes in front of you.