We’re staring down the barrel of a big weekend, fitness fans.
And you’ve got some decision making to do, because two big fund-raising races are scheduled for Saturday, along with the first day of a sweet-sounding series of standup paddle boarding classes.
Read on for details …
Susan G. Komen Austin’s Race for the Cure, Sept. 24
Survivors, family members, friends and all kinds of pink-bedecked people who care will line up for the start of the Race for the Cure, a 5K run and walk that funds breast cancer screenings and treatment services right here in the Austin area. The race moves to a new site this year, starting and finishing at the Austin American-Statesman, 305 South Congress Avenue. Athletes will head up Congress Avenue to the capitol and back. Dress up your dog for the pet costume contest, too. Race starts 7:30 a.m. Registration is $45 for adults , $35 for survivors or $25 youth (or pay $40 to participate virtually). To sign up, go here.
Schlotzsky’s Bun Run, Sept. 24
The race named after the sandwich with a funny name kicks off at 8 a.m. Sunday in the heart of The Domain, 11401 Century Oaks Terrace. It’s the 35th running of the Schlotzky’s Bun Run, and this year’s event includes a Kids K 1K race and a special category so pups can vie for the title of Fastest Dog in Austin. Registration proceeds will be donated to JDRF, a global organization that funds Type 1 diabetes research. To register, go here.
And on Tuesday, Sept. 26, the Day of Dough, all Schlotzsky’s restaurants will donate 10 percent of the day’s sales to JDRF, and then Schlotzsky’s corporate will match that 10 percent, for a total donation of 20 percent of that day’s net sales.
Standup Paddlebaord Skills Class, Sept. 24
Congress Avenue Kayaks will launch a new series of standup paddleboard skills classes, starting at 8:30 a.m. this Sunday. Participants will learn the history of the sport, basic paddle techniques and general safety practices while paddling on Lady Bird Lake with trained guides. Ages 13 and up; life vest, paddle, and SUP provided. Additional classes scheduled for Oct. 1 and Oct. 29. Congress Avenue Kayaks is located at the Waller Creek Boathouse, 74 Trinity Street. Class cost is $45 per person. Register at congresskayaks.com. For more information, call (512) 809-8916.